What Happens if You Are Denied Life Insurance?Article originally posted on www.insuranceneighbor.com(opens in new tab)
It can be discouraging, to say the least, when you are trying to protect your family by purchasing life insurance, and your application is rejected. If you have been denied life insurance, you are not alone. It happens to people every day. Keep in mind that you have options and do not give up.
Why Are Some People Denied Life Insurance?
Typically, life insurance companies deny applicants who fall into a high-risk category. This could be because of a health condition, such as diabetes or obesity, or because of an earlier diagnosis of a serious disease. What is considered risky behavior could also put you in a high-risk category. This may involve:
- Dangerous occupation
- Risky hobby (such as skydiving)
- DUIs and/or speeding tickets on your driving record
- Criminal record
- Poor financial history
- Failed drug test
What Steps Should You Take if You Have Been Denied Life Insurance?
If your application was denied, you still may be able to obtain life insurance. Take the following steps:
- Ask the company for more information: Life insurance companies weigh risk in determining whether to sell a policy. Contact the insurance company and find out exactly why your application was denied.
- Verify the information: Once you know why your application was denied, check to see if the information on which the insurance company based its decision is correct. They may have incorrect or insufficient medical information, or incorrect or outdated information about other aspects of your life that puts you in a higher risk category.
- Appeal the decision: If it is apparent that your application was denied on the basis of incorrect or insufficient information, you have a right to appeal the insurance company’s decision. Submit complete and timely information. In the case of invalid medical reasons for denial, ask your doctor to include as much up-to-date medical information as possible. If the denial is based on other factors, submit correct or updated information related to, for example, your current employment, your driving record, or your credit report.
What If Your Application Is Still Denied After Your Appeal?
Even if the insurance company continues to deny your application, you still may be able to purchase life insurance. As a first step, speak with our knowledgeable insurance agent. We can help you apply to the insurers that are more likely to approve your application. We can also assist you with the application and the appeal process. Our agents have experience helping higher risk individuals obtain coverage.
Another option is to obtain life insurance through your employer. You may have better luck getting coverage through a workplace life insurance plan than on your own. Group life insurance may not give you the coverage you need, but it is better than no life insurance.
For the coverage your family needs, you may want to try again later after a waiting period. For example, if your application was denied because you are a smoker or overweight, wait a year while you shed some pounds or quit smoking, then try again. For the best chance of obtaining life insurance coverage, consult with an experienced life insurance agent.Filed Under: Life Insurance | Tagged With: Life Insurance